1. Health
Colleen Doherty, MD

Ginger and Migraines

By May 20, 2013

In a study published this month in Phytotherapy Research, 100 patients with migraine without aura were blindly given either ginger powder or sumatriptan for migraine treatment. Two hours after treatment, patients reported a decrease in their headache severity regardless of the treatment they received. Sumatriptan and ginger powder were found to be similar in their effect on migraine relief.

This inspired me to find some ginger-based recipes, especially drink recipes as I am always looking for something soothing to sip on as I blog and research articles. While ginger has no promising healing migraine power (we need more studies!), these recipes are just plain fun and may help take your mind off your daily stress.

Please read my article Soothing Migraine Drinks. Feel free to share any "soothing" or "headache-thwarting" recipes you enjoy!

Source (Abstract): Medhi M, Farhad G, Alireza ME, Mehran Y. "Comparison Between the Efficacy of Ginger and Sumatriptan in the Ablative Treatment of the Common Migraine." Phytother Res May 2013 Online.

Please share any "headache-power-fighting" recipes you use.

Comments
May 31, 2013 at 7:17 pm
(1) Jeanne says:

I often drink Jamaican Ginger Ale (the real deal-contains actual ginger) when I feel Yucky, headachy. It seems to have an effect. I usually feel a bit better after a while.

May 31, 2013 at 11:05 pm
(2) Julie says:

I love Jamaican Ginger Ale. Where do you find it? I want to see if it helps my head!

June 12, 2013 at 2:40 pm
(3) dvikib says:

Blue Sky Jamaican ginger ale with real ginger is made with sugar rather than high fructose corn syrup. It is expensive though.
Amazon.com currently has it for $40 for 24 cans (12 oz).
You can also buy it online at Walmart but it will cost you about $17 (with shipping) for 4 cans.

June 12, 2013 at 2:50 pm
(4) dvikib says:

If you live near a Wegman’s grocery store, they carry Reed’s Ginger Ale
Jamaican style. It is made with real ginger and is sweetened with
honey, sugar and pineapple juice. No high fructose corn syrup.
It runs about $4 for 4 – 12 oz bottles.

June 18, 2013 at 11:08 am
(5) Patricia McMurtrie says:

It’s not a “recipe” per say, but it is made with ginger and feverfew.

It has been clinically studied by America’s leading headache experts and shown to relieve migraine and associated symptoms as effectively as RX without the side effects.

The product’s name is LipiGesic M.

November 24, 2013 at 1:44 am
(6) PS says:

I just tried Blue Sky ginger ale for the first time. I thought it was disgusting! I had bought a six-pack and threw it all in the trash. I plan to go back to Seagram’s or Canada Dry since ginger ale does seem to ease my migraines and nausea.